Carl H. Bernklau Continuing Education Scholarship
History of the Scholarship:
Carl Bernklau was a supporter of the environment, education and agriculture. Carl was born in 1919 at his family home, 12 miles west of Rifle, where he continued to live and farm throughout his life. He was drafted into the military during WW II in 1945 and was assigned overseas duty in Japan, then returned to making a living on the family farm. Carl was very active in his community, belonging to and supporting many clubs and organizations. He was a leader and supporter of various 4H and FFA clubs, a rural fire department member, a member of the Grand View School District Board, a member of Emmanuel Lutheran Church in Rifle, was past president and served 27 years for Book Cliff Soil Conservation District, served as Colorado’s Association of Soil Conservation Districts Director, with his most passionate calling being western Colorado water preservation. He was president of the West Divide Water Conservancy District for 25 years, serving the district for 29 years, retiring in 1993, and was the director for the Colorado Water Congress. He also witched many water wells in the area while continuing his education by taking Colorado State University classes on agriculture and reading many books. He was a good steward of the land and a man of extraordinary kindness and generosity.
The Carl H. Bernklau Scholarship, in the amount of $2,500.00, is to be awarded to a Grand Valley High School senior who has maintained a GPA of2.5 or higher and has been accepted full time (at least 12 credit hours) at an accredited college, university or vocational/technical school in Colorado.
I. Leadership/citizenship (in school and community).
2. Scholarship potential (cumulative high school GPA 2.5 on a 4.0 system).
3. Evaluation of letters of recommendation.
4. Evidence of being accepted by a college, university or vocational/technical school in Colorado.
5. Graduate of Grand Valley High School
I. Completed Bernklau Scholarship Application Form with dates and signatures.
2. Official copy of most recent high school transcript, signed by school officials.
3. One to three-page resume.
4. Minimum of three/maximum of four letters of recommendation from:
a. Adult volunteer leader.
b. Academic advisor, school official or teacher. c. Personal character reference.
5. Field of Study related to: Agriculture, Environmental Studies, Education, Engineering, Liberal Arts & Humanities, and Vocational.
6. Copy of acceptance document from a college, university or vocational/technical
School in Colorado.
Acceptance Deadline for all Scholarships
Thursday April 19th, 2018
To apply please open and complete the link to the application then email back to us at